South Oxfordshire District Council
Building Service Technician
Location: Abingdon / Hybrid, mainly based at siteContract Type: Duration of role one-year fixed term contractHours: Full time, 37 hours per weekSalary and grade: Grade 5 SP24 £33,833
About the role and what we’re looking for
The Property Assets team provide Property and Facilities services across both Councils for the general public and for internal customer departments. The types of buildings and the customers being served include: –
• Arts centres, Council offices, Community centres, Leisure facilities, Housing, mobile home parks, Public toilets
The Team use a mix of internal and contract labour for repairs and cleaning, and specialist contractors for compliance, pre-planned and reactive maintenance.
A building services technician is required to lead on the maintenance, repair, and improvement of the Mechanical and Electrical building assets for the Council.The role requires a mix of hands-on maintenance and repair for pre-planned and reactive tasks, as well as management of sub-contractor suppliers for specialist maintenance and repair works.The role requires both mechanical and electrical skills but it is expected that an operative may be more biased to one discipline.
Main duties and responsibilities
• Provide regular pre-planned maintenance and repair service to the Council’s main operational buildings (circa 6 buildings).• Provide reactive first fix repair service across the wider Council property portfolio.• Able to manage delivery of maintenance activities using sub-contractor support.• Use of CAFM system (Concerto) to plan, manage and report works.• Provide technical management reports as required.• Provide emergency response standby, call out.• Monitor utilities management and environmental programmes.• Support cost-effective procurement of engineering maintenance services.• Operate within annual engineering budgets for the maintenance and repair of the services.• Contribute to forward maintenance plan that tracks asset condition and projected maintenance costs on a 5 – year rolling basis.• Responsibility for ensuring all critical related engineering maintenance documentation/records are kept in clearly identified and retrievable systems.• Plan Statutory Compliance Maintenance and Testing and report, as required.• Ensure all PPM’s and Critical Facility PPMs are carried out to schedule.• Ensure completion of all reactive Helpdesk Requests ensuring closing and completion in line with SLA’s• Fully understand the operational protocols associated with alarm conditions and auxiliary back-up system capabilities.• Ensure that financial processes are adhered to at all times.• Ensure maintenance is carried out in line with H&S procedures, using the permit to work system where applicable and action improvements identified during the building and workplace inspections and reviews.
The duties may vary from time to time without changing the nature of the post or the level of responsibility and the post holder may also be required to carry out any other duties appropriate to the grading of the post.
• Your essential skills, knowledge, and experience• PC literate/MS Office skills• Excellent Contract / Supplier Management Skills• Mechanical Building Services Technician practical knowledge.• Knowledge of emergency response/standby/call out activities and protocols.• Knowledge Water hygiene L8• Strong proven experience in operating Building services across multiple sites• Experience operating a Permit system.• BMS Controls Experience / HVAC Experience• Operational experience of managing Environmental, Health & Safety Systems• Hold a current full driving licence and, whenever necessary, have access to a vehicle that is insured and available for business use.• Attend occasional events and meetings on evenings and weekends.• Must be able to climb ladders and access small and cramped spaces, also inspect roofs and other non-public areas of large buildings.
Your essential qualifications
• Diploma level qualification in mechanical/electrical engineering• Or Recognised Apprenticeship
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus.
• IOSH or NEBOSH or equivalent H&S training• Understand the monitoring of utilities and environmental programmes.• 18th Edition Electrical Wiring Regulations
Our vision and values are important to the councils, and we expect you to support them and embed them in the way we work.
We are seen as being customer-focussed, approachable and business-like. We are honest and open and are renowned for providing high quality cost effective services.
• We act with integrity and show respect.• We are all accountable.• We are passionate about our business.• We strive for simplicity.• We love success.
The benefits we offer:
• A basic 24 day annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years. You also have all the bank holidays and time off between Christmas and New Year.• Flexible working and annualised hours – a flexible approach to work that our employees love!• Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April.• A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary• The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme, so that you can cycle to work!• A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost.• Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, free eye tests for DSE users and more)• We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
You may also have experience in the following: Facilities Technician, Facilities Engineer, Facilities Assistant, Maintenance Technician, Maintenance Engineer, Maintenance Operative, PPM, Reactive Maintenance, Building Services, Electrical Maintenance, Mechanical Maintenance, Electrician, etc.
|cookielawinfo-checbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-functional||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|